Friday, February 8, 2008

Update on Google AdSense 2008

Update on Google AdSense

On January 9th, I posted a blog about my three month earning history with Google AdSense.

My earrning reports are in for the month of January so I just wanted to give you a quick update. I finally figured out how to set up seperate channels for each of my blogs so now I can see exactly how much each one is earning. Prior to setting up the channels, all my earnings were lumped into one report so I had no way of knowing which blog was outperforming the others.

Here is the breakdown of my earnings so far:

October - 75 cents
November - $2.62
December - $3.38
January - $24.51

Wow!!!! Why has January taken off? Well, part of it is because two of my blogs are now 4 months old and finally starting to generate a decent amount of traffic. The Pagan Path blog has actually been earning a few more $$ than the I Love Herbs blog. I think this is because there are tons of herb sites out there, and the search term herbs is rather generic. So I don't think the ads that are showing up on I Love Herbs are that unique.

Paganism Pays?
Why does the pagan site generate a bit more revenue? At first this seemed puzzling - there are a ton more herb sites on the internet than pagan sites. But that is probably why I am getting higher ad revenue. Although there are fewer pagans in the world than herbalists there aren't that many pagan blog sites out there which means there isn't as much competition for pagan readers as compared to herbal readers. And most of the ads on my pagan blog are much more specific than the more generic ads showing up on my herb blog. So the ads on the pagan blog are getting a much higher click through.

Another reason why my ad revenue took off for the month of January was that on December 27th I took over the inactive Freelance Online Work blog that was in Orble's blog cemetary. I don't post that often to the freelance site compared to my other blogs but when I do they get a fantastic amount of readers. And they get quite a few ad clicks.

Freelancing is Hot
Freelancing is a very hot topic right now. Everybody and their brother is investigating freelance opportunities as a way to generate some extra income in addition to their day jobs. My engineering friend, my middle management friend, and my former English teacher friend have all been picking my brains about how to get started making money as an online freelance writer. I am certainly no expert but according to them I am. I investigate freelancing opportunities almost daily and often click on the ads I find on other freelancing sites.

Other Freelancing Sites
Speaking of other freelancing sites, be sure to check out Writer's Notes here on the Orble network. Besides being full of fantastic information, Writer's Notes blogger Jeanne Dininni is a really friendly person and will answer any questions you may have regarding her blog posts. Jeanne just celebrated the one year annivesary of her blog.

Additional Information
I just set up my first blogger blog - http://herbalapothecary.blogspot.com. I want to see how that site performs in comparison to my three Orble blogs. So I will be posting details on that blogging network in the future. Blogger/blogspot is owned by Google. I've earned a whole penny on Herbal Apothecary so far, but it's a brand new site so it will take it awhile before it starts to generate any traffic.

SOURCE: http://www.freelanceonlinework.com/update-on-google-adsense/

1 comment:

Jeanne Dininni said...

Lynn,

Thanks for all the nice things you've said about me and about Writer's Notes! That's really sweet of you--and I appreciate the links, as well!

Best wishes with all your blogs!
Jeanne